Old February 28th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default What makes a person become a Ham?

xpyttl wrote:
"Steve Bonine" wrote in message
Michael Coslo wrote:

some snippage

Our Section Manager came up with a great idea. We have a very successful
youth group in the far reaches of the state. There are, of course, a number
of other amateur radio youth groups around the state, having varying levels
of success.

In April, we are going to gather kids from all these groups together, ply
them with pop and pizza, a have them tell us what it was that attracted
them, and what we could do better. What better way to figure out how to
attract new hams than by asking the new hams themselves, and especially the
young ones who we need, and who are likely to be more open than their older
counterparts.

Your group has hit on the correct way to attract the young folks - by
getting a number of them together.

If a young person comes into Ham radio all by themselves, it isn't as
interesting for them, and they can't do as many things easily as if they
were older. Its been my experience that young people (tweens and early
teenagers) can get a little lost at club meetings and activities like
Field day. And these days, there should be an approved adult to
chaperone them at events who has been cleared by one of the state police
background investigations.

But if you can get a fair number of young'uns who can relate to each
other well, they can become good hams and a future resource.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -