Old February 28th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default And now for something totally different!

Although I have a technical background, my post secondary "eddycaytion"
is actually in the art field, and In my job and life I cross between the
two.

I stumbled upon this site, and was pleasantly introduced to "Steampunks"

(Hang with me here, this is actually on topic-despite what it sounds
like so far)

These folks take a whimsical view of modern life, and like to take
modern throwaway technology and modify it to turn it into something that
you wouldn't throw away. Typically they alter items to look as if they
were built in the late 1800's, toward the end of Victorian times (hence
the word "Steam" as a retro power source. Hand crafting is mandatory.

Now to the Ham radio apps.

In a unique (and a little bizarre) melding of technologies, one
practitioner has built and implemented a Telegraph sounder that reads
RSS feeds.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/telegraph.shtml

I was hooked.

Although the Amateur radio world does not have many examples of art -
though some folks come pretty close with some old time stations, I found
the method I'm going to use for my next shack redo. I'll have to share
the pictures of the same. Now to start scrounging brass....

Certainly some will find this odd, but I like a little aesthetics in my
hobbies along with the technical.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -