Old February 28th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default What makes a person become a Ham?

xpyttl wrote:

Someone mentioned having mentors for the kids background cheked, and in this
day and age, there is something to be said for this. Most RACES
organizations now require background checks, so your RACES organization
might be a source for mentors for these kids that have already been vetted.

Keep in mind that the background checks for working with children are
looking for different issues.

When I was prez of an association and coaching youth Ice Hockey, I
often had to explain that we weren't looking for violations of basic
law, that no one was going to be rejected because they had an underage
drinking offense or the like. No one is perfect. The only thing that
would trigger the thing was violations involving children.

The RACES checks might be a bit different, but I'm not sure. I'm almost
certain the Red Cross' ones are.

- 73 de Mike N3LI