Old February 29th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default What makes a person become a Ham?

wrote:
On Feb 29, 10:20 am, Klystron wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote on Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:36:39 EST:
When a member noted that the ARS
frequencies were there for use after the normal comms weren't working,
he replied " Every thing we do is a matter of life and death, so we can
use your frequencies any way we wish".

It is not as simple as that. What constitutes an emergency?

"Imminent danger of loss of life, serious injury, or damage/loss of
property". Or verbiage something like that.

There are fringe elements in all aspects of life, including ham radio.
I've seen hams get much too caught up in the particular aspect of the
hobby that they enjoy, be it emergency communications, DX, contesting,
whatever.

Someone went to a club meeting and got carried away with what he was
saying about emergency communications. This has evolved into a
discussion about what constitutes an emergency, what hams can do during
this emergency, and the possible ramifications of all that. It has been
an interesting discussion, from which I have learned something.

But let's not assume that the statements of one individual represent the
guiding principles of an entire segment of ham radio. Yes, there is a
fringe element in the emergency communications interest group, but the
same is true for the contest interest group, the DX interest group, and
even the segment of the hobby who only wants to ragchew. You're not
going to find a mainstream emcomm guy who will say "everything we do is
a matter of life and death."

While this has been an interesting discussion, we need to realize that
it applies to a minuscule part of our operating. If there are a
thousand people reading this newsgroup, it's likely that not a single
one of you will ever be involved with a real life-or-death emergency.
If you are, Part 97 is likely to be the last thing on your mind, which
is exactly as it should be.

Still, an interesting discussion. I hope I never have to administer
CPR, but I still got the training.

73, Steve KB9X