Old March 14th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default The Spirit of Knoxville

wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Phil Kane" wrote in message

: On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:13:15 EDT, Steve Bonine
: wrote:
:
:
: Do you have any idea why they're going to the trouble to
: turn off the transmitter over the UK?
:
: My WAG is because it doesn't conform to their rules.

What will the transmitting frequency be..? Don't forget that we have
different frequencies in some bands, for example we only get 2 MHz in the
2m band, 144-146 MHz whereas the US has 144-148 MHz.

If it will be transmitting outside of the UK bandplan then that would be a
valid reason as the frequency used could be in use for something else over
here.

A balloon is an aircraft so that makes it illegal to transmit.
No transmitting equipment may be operated from an aircraft other than
type approved aviation band equipment under the control of the commander.

I'm not sure where you are getting your info. Lots of hams are sending
up balloons with transmitters all the time. Lots of links can be
googled, but here are two:

http://www.athensarc.org/balloon.asp
http://www.arbonet.net/

At least in the US, the rules are conducive to ballooning for schools,
amateurs and weather forecasters. I'd been planning to do some Amateur
ballooning for several years, but other duties have interfered.

One of the most difficult aspects of trying to get a group started was
the disbelief of many people that we were actually allowed to do this
sort of thing.

There are rules, and they must be followed, but they are commonsense and
not terribly restrictive.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -