Old March 14th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bruce in alaska Bruce in alaska is offline

Default The Spirit of Knoxville

In article ,
"Ivor Jones" wrote:

The phone service provided commercially on airliners is satellite based
and is specifically licensed for the purpose. Some airlines are
(unfortunately IMHO) experimenting with pico-cells inside the cabin to
allow passengers to use their own handsets, but the onward transmission
from the aircraft is by satellite.

73 Ivor G6URP

It may be in the the UK, but here in the USA, some of the In Plane Phone
Communications, is done in the 800 Mhz band from Ground Stations. Our
Regulatory Agency, (FCC) setup a Radio Service just for Air Ground Phone
Communications. I can't remember the Actual Name offhand, but I am sure
that Phil can come up with it.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply