Old March 20th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_5_] Bill Horne[_5_] is offline

Default Any Civil War reenactors on here?

Thanks for reading this.

I have a number of Sounders, some old keys, and some relays from the
American Morse landline era. It occured to me that I might take up
reenacting as another hobby, but when I asked my sister, who makes
clothing for reenactors, "What does it cost?", she casually mentioned
"Less than a thousand".

So, I'm looking for a discount version: I've got enough invested in
_this_ hobby. ;-)

Please answer these questions:

1. Would I have to have perfect replicas of the clothes, etc.? I'm
just interested in the telegraphy, and civilians used to do that as
well as the military, so reenacting as a civilian would be fine.

2. Does all the telegraph gear have to be authentic to the period? I'd
tend to doubt it, simply because instruments _that_ old would be
too valuable for use in the field.

3. Who can I talk to for help without spending a day doing research
online?

Thanks for any information.

73, Bill W1AC

(Filter QRM from my address for direct replies)