Old March 27th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default WPM to BPS calculation

"Of course! But what cell phone has a full sized keyboard?

IIRC I can generate and send text-messages using the Motorola Phone
Tools computer software connected to my Motorola cellphone via a USB
port, thereby using a full-size screen and keyboard to do so. I use
that setup to edit my "call list" in the 'phone.

So given a typist of comparable proficiency to the Morse operators (
meaning probably in the region of 80 - 100 wpm) it is most likely that the
text message would win the race; depending on system delays, which again is
not a fair comparison to face to face Morse. You could wait for hours, or
days, or even years for the bands to open to a particular location!!

It all goes to show that you must compare like with like. I am sure that the
Morse operators would have also lost if they were forced to send extraneous
letters as they cycled through to find the correct one, as the text'er had
to.

73
Jeff