Old March 28th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default WPM to BPS calculation

Jeff wrote:

Indeed, compare it with "text communication via radio" not with sending
Morse across a table. Try the same test, but sending a message to ZL or VK,
I am sure that the SMS message would win. The text message would have
arrived long before the band opened and you tuned up your antenna.

Let's not forget that the texters have their own limitations, such as
being in range of an antenna, hopefully no power outages or disasters
that cut off the service.

But truly that wasn't the point of the demonstration anyhow. All other
things being equal, texting is slower because of the physical aspect
differences between the two.

Voice would have beaten either OOK Morse or texting. But who cares about
that really? It's all good.

side trip....

I've alway thought that there are some interesting parallels between
regular folks and Us Hams, with seemingly different impressions by the
public.

humor alert!

Using an HT isn't cool, but Using a cell phone is.

Using OOK texting isn't cool, but using cell phone texting is.

My Suzuki Vitara with it's legal height Bugcatcher antenna isn't cool,
but if I put a Penn State banner on it during football season I am
waaaay kewl!

Humor alert off

I really need to post some pictures of the Vitara all set up. That 13+
foot antenna so completely overwhelms the thing that it almost becomes
cool in it's own right. The only downside is that so many people want to
come over to talk to me about it that I sometimes don't get to operate
it as much. OTOH, I was talking to a Fish and Game officer who is going
for his license now

- 73 de Mike N3LI -