Old March 31st 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Band plans

wrote:

Can't such interference be dealt with using a notch filter? A PSK31
signal is only a few dozen Hz wide, for example.

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that we have all these
wonderful controls on our radios, sometimes we need to use them.

I learned a lot about CW filters, PBT, notching etc, with my PSK31
waterfall setup. As you invoke and adjust the various functions, the
noise floor of the waterfall gives a nice graphic display of what each
filter does.

Even more basic, isn't it the responsibility of all operators to avoid
transmitting on top of existing QSOs? Why would digital ops behave
differently in this regard when faced with 'phone signals vs. CW
signals?

Yes, and they don't as far as I know.

I think that on some bands, such as 20 meters, a person can accidentally
stomp on another due to propagation, So often we only hear (or see) one
side of the QSO. We fire up, and soon the Ham we can hear and can hear
us tells us of our error.

I wonder what frequencies G4JCI is referring to? And note to G4JCI:I
think you might have a typo in your call sign, there isn't any reference
on QRZ to that call.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -