Old May 3rd 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] is offline

Default Differences..!

On Sat, 03 May 2008 07:57:45 -0400, Ivor Jones wrote:
Just perusing the ARRL letter on rec.radio.info and the lead story was
very interesting. It's about the ARRL objecting to the use of some 70cm

frequencies for a commercial event.

Just goes to show how things are different in the US to here in the UK.
Over here we are only secondary users of the 70cm band (the primary use

of just about everything above 2m is the Ministry of Defence) and so we
have to put up with anything and everything, including car alarm keyfob

on 433.92 MHz as an example. We also only get 430-440 MHz rather than
your 420-450.

If I recall properly we're secondary to the military in
that band as well. Indeed, 70cm repeater operators are learning that the
hard way... as many repeaters are having to reduce power or even go QRT
at the request of our military, to protect a radar system.

But the motorsports folks have no regular authority in that band at all.

I'm not sure I understand why they thought they needed amateur spectrum
for that project.