Old May 6th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Differences..!

On May 6, 5:12 am, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
,
typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: Secondary status means no interference need be
: tolerated by the primary.

I should have been more clear, and qualfied the above as "here in the
USA"

Not always, we're the primary users of 2m over here, but we can't complain

about interference.

: There used to be a 50 watt limit on 420-450 MHz for amateurs due to
: the possibility of interference to radar.

Don't recall we ever had that over here, but I may be wrong.

It was a US restriction a long time ago.
:
: It used to be that we hams were a corps of operators who could
: be pressed into service quickly during a war or other crisis.
:
: That's still the case. But it doesn't mean that the primary users of a
: band have to put up with interference from secondary users.

Ah, but who is the primary user..? Here it's the military. Amateurs have
to put up with anything and everything. On all bands.

Well, here in the USA amateurs are definitely the secondary users of
420-450 MHz.
So while we can complain, we don't have the same "standing", as it
were.

73 de Jim, N2EY