Old May 8th 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Differences..!

Ah, thanks. However, over here we do have "legal" intrusions into some of
the amateur bands, most are in the microwave region, notably 10GHz, where
we lost a sizeable chunk a while back.

The main one though is 431-432 MHz which is not available for use within
100km of Charing Cross (central London) and also for some distance around
the military radar installation at Fylingdales in Yorkshire. In the London
area I believe it's allocated to taxis of all things..! There isn't a lot
of amateur activity in that segment, I think some wide-split repeaters may
have inputs or outputs there but generally it's a low-occupancy segment of
the band, so all in all it's not a major hassle.

It's the principle of the thing that annoys me, though. Even where we are
primary users, such as 2m, we can claim *no* protection from interference,
even if the cause of said interference shouldn't be there.

73 Ivor G6URP

The main problem in the UK is not the commercial use of 431-432 in the
London area, rather the proliferation of licence exempt low power devices.
Everything from key fobs to weather stations and tower crane anti-collision
systems. They are popping up quite legally all over 70cms.

Even one 70cms repeater was ordered off the air because it was stopping
people from remotely opening their car doors in a nearby carpark!

The UK has a Pave Paws derivative at Fylingdales at that caused a ban on new
repeater applications in 70cms, the military being worried about the
increase in noise floor that additional signals would introduce.

73
Jeff