Old May 15th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default NASA Predicts Solar Storm

"KØHB" wrote in
m:

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote

Isn't it WAY too early to be writing off this cycle?

Oh, I'm not "writing it off", Doug.

But it isn't looking good for the "most active cycle in 50 years"
predicted in that article.

It's alarming to note that the words "Maunder Minimum" are being
heard more and more in polite society. Five years ago that phrase
would have people rushing to their Funk and Wagnalls, now we just
shake our heads up and down and say "Could be, yes, it could be."

It's even more alarming that those polite folk are willing to suggest a
Maunder minimum on the basis of a slow start to a cycle. They should have
checked their Fun an Waganalls, or at leat Wikipedia. We'd pretty much have
to miss a whole cycle to declare the possibility of entering a new minimum.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -