Old May 21st 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mark Kramer Mark Kramer is offline

Default Another threat to 440

In article ,
KØHB wrote:
440 is a shared band already, and this device strikes me as an ideal candidate
for sharing. It would have at worst a sporadic impact on our use, at
low power,
and would be a direct contributor to public safety while reducing risk of life
and limb to our firefighters and police. This is one ARRL should support.

There is no technical reason that the frequencies should come from the
middle of an already populated amateur band, and I disagree strongly
with your assessment that it would have "at worst a sporadic impact". A
few repeaters over a wide geographic area should have ZERO impact on a
well-designed classified military radar system (designed and built AFTER
the repeaters were on the air), but we all know that wasn't true.

This manufacturer has been using non-certified equipment hoping that
his squatting in the amateur bands will be forgiven by getting a large
number of technically ignorant police departments to cry that they'll
be saving lives -- but not cry why they ought to be using spectrum that
is already used.

Read the waiver. The claim that this will be strictly for emergency use
is disproven by the statements from police departments who want to use
this for warrant service and air-duct inspections.