Old May 21st 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mark Kramer Mark Kramer is offline

Default Fifth pillar

In article ,
Michael Coslo wrote:
I still want a PSK31 HT.

My God, why? APRS has a texting mode. The technology is in place and
well-defined. A two-second burst of 1200 baud packet, even assuming a 500 ms
TXDELAY, has more text than a standard SMS. That's more than 50 seconds at
PSK31. Who's going to install the PSK31 digipeaters? Who is going to develop
the technology to determine that a PSK31 signal that is 100Hz off the correct
frequency should be digipeated while one that is 50Hz off should not? (1kHz
error in an FM HT is common. 1kHz error in PSK31 is a completely different
QSO.)

Oh yeah, while we're at it, I don't know if that HT with the camera is
still being produced

Ever try sending an image at 1200 baud?

As much as I prefer regular transceivers, SDR radio would be a pretty
interesting way to go. Big hint to the mfgr's: Sell something usable
that isn't a kilobuck+. I saw the ones out at Dayton, and a better price
point is advised.

Volume means low price. High price means no volume. Yeah, a $100 SDR HT
would be great. It also has more than $100 of parts in it. That $0.10 diode
detector is replaced by a $30 DSP chip.

I've seen a lot about the new Digital voice and data modes such as
D-Star. Lots of investment needed there, and although the transmission
of data is kinda cool, I have concerns about multipath.

But you're the guy who wants texting via PSK31? D-STAR texting, bad. PSK31
texting, good?

D-Star might need a big kick start, such as emergency groups purchasing
repeaters,

Sorry, but at $10,000 starting, our emergency group isn't going to be
buying one. The fact we have no open repeater space, and the cost of a
D-STAR radio, makes it certain that D-STAR is a non-starter here.

people who want to put up a digital repeater (note, not a digipeater)
might be going to a lot of expense to talk to one or two friends.

I thought I'd like to buy an ID-1 when it came out. At $3000 (one for me,
one for someone to talk to) I said "no thanks".