Old May 26th 08, 09:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Derry Hamilton Derry Hamilton is offline

Default Fifth pillar

On 2008-05-26, Phil Kane wrote:
On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:56:17 EDT, Buck
wrote:

No, D-Star is not proprietary. It is an open standard.

Not proprietary? How can I get my Yaesu to work with it?

Can your Yaesu do single sideband on 440 MHz? Same issue.

Yes, just fine thanks.

Convince Motorola - who now owns Yaesu - to make an adapter. Up to
now, no one has made and sold such things except Icom. It's not like
Pactor III which is in fact proprietary and no one can make adapters
except SGS, the patent-holder.

I'd prefer to make one myself, except I'd have to buy an AMBE chip from
DVSI. DVSI, being the patent holders, are the only ones who can make
them (without paying 6-7 figures for the license, and even then only in
hardware). And that seems to me to make it just as proprietary as
Pactor III.

73 de GM4FH
Alexander Hamilton