Old June 8th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Fifth pillar

"KØHB" wrote in
:

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

If we want to generate traffic on the repeaters, the simplest way is
to generate some traffic on them. Get a friend and talk on the thing.
Next thing you know, others will join you. If enough places do that,
there will be plenty of traffic.

I didn't make my point very well. We don't need to "generate
traffic", we simply need to clean out the dead "legacy" assignments
and free up room for things like DStar and other emerging
technologies.

I just had a look at our local (Minneapolis/St Paul) pair assignments.
In the 2M and 75CM bands there are 108 repeater pairs assigned. You
read right --- ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT! Yet I can scan both bands for
hours on end and hear nothing.

I'm not sure that the idea of getting rid of analog repeaters so that D-
Star repeaters can be given those frequencies is really going to do
much. If your area has 108 repeater pairs coordinated, and no activity,
I suspect that a D-Star repeater will be likewise not have much
activity. At this time you would probably just have one more repeater
that isn't used.

Your area's problem is lack of interest, not too many repeaters. My
point is if Hams start using the repeaters, they might bootstrap
interest.

After interest is generated, then the possible next conversation might
be "Hey, we have that old repeater on the south side of town, maybe a
group of us can get together and go digital....

- 73 de Mike N3LI -