Old June 10th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus Jeffrey D Angus is offline

Default Fifth pillar

Steve Bonine wrote:
It's too bad that we need formal frequency coordination and can't go
with the concept of "no one owns any frequency". Experience has shown
that the formality is needed in this case, and I your explanation of how
you could just jump in and squat on any repeater pair because you want
it is a fine illustration of how we got to this point.

I used to be involved in packet radio coordination, a subset of
frequency coordination. As I explained to people, "If you're not
getting any death threats, you're not doing your job."

On frequency coordinators. They are necessary because people
have shown repeatedly that they can not all work together.
From the very beginnings in the early '70s out here in Los
Angeles people have shown a propensity for acting like fools.

Not that the frequency coordinators "do it right" all the
time. Notably the 220 disaster. How do you reallocate all
the repeaters when you lose a big chunk of spectrum? Easy,
You tell everyone at the low end of the band, "You lose."
That actually required the FCC to step in and force band
plans on the coordinators.

The bottom line, frequency coordination is necessary. As
they say, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi