Old June 10th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mark Kramer Mark Kramer is offline

Default Fifth pillar

In article ,
David G. Nagel wrote:
The point to remember is that NO repeat NO one has a right to any
particular radio frequency. Even coordination does not grand any right
to a particular radio frequency, only license to use the frequency.

Umm, no, the FCC grants the license, not the coordinating body.

The coordinating body picks who gets preference when there is an
interfering use.

If there is no interference, coordination doesn't come into play.

If I use the output frequency of the local repeater in simple mode,
I am not interfering with that repeater. The repeater won't even know
I am there. The users of the repeater who can't hear me won't know. The
users who do hear me hear nothing different than if I was using it. If
someone keys up the repeater on top of me, they interfere with me, but
that's life. If they are coordinated and I am not, I have to put up with
them. If they are not coordinated, we have to work to solve the problem.

Repeater Coordinators have a responsibility to allocate an extremely
scarce resource in a fair and reasonable manner. Those who get a
coordination just to have one and don't place equipment on the air, even
if they use it in a limited manner, do not deserve to retain the
coordination and the frequency should go to a new applicant.

Of course.