Old July 3rd 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
D. Stussy D. Stussy is offline

Default TV frequencies up for grabs- lets lobby now

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
news On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:35:34 -0400, Rick T wrote:
Well, I count about 60 stations licensed for high-power
digital TV operations nationwide on 7-13.....not a huge
number by any means.

I think you're working from a very early table. I count 137 stations
currently licensed to operate DTV stations on these channels. Those are
interim operations. Another 300 or so stations will be moving their DTV
operations to 7-13 from other channels, usually UHF.

Here in Arizona, there are very few
remaining after the transition. The public safety folks,
having failed to take any of the 138-174 spectrum from the
military here (Mainly because of the Army base at Ft.
Huachuca) are now looking at the possibility of getting some
of that 174-216. I doubt that it will happen though.

I count eight. There are nine analog stations currently operating in tha
spectrum in the state.

To pick two more states more or less at random:

Kansas: 11 analog stations in 7-13 today.
2 interim DTV operations in 7-13 today.
13 permanent DTV operations in 7-13 after transition.

Pennsylvania:
7 analog stations in 7-13 today.
4 interim DTV operations in 7-13 today.
9 permanent DTV operations in 7-13 after transition.
Well, here in Southern California (Los Angeles + San Diego), each of 7-13 is
actually occupied with a full-power TV station and will continue to be. The
odd channels are for LA and the evens for SD (12 for Tijuana, Mexico).

The best grab we could hope for is perhaps "Channel 2" - at 54-60 MHz and
being adjacent to our 6 meter band.