Old July 12th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KØHB KØHB is offline

Default Something old and something new

"KC4UAI" wrote in message

How the CW contesters will deal with this new technology
while keeping the playing field level? Beats me, but thinking
about it leads to a number of possible solutions (Please folks
let's add to this list.)
1. Ignore the new technology and live with the fact that folks
who use it will likely increase their contest scores.
2. Regulate its use by handicapping folks who choose to
use such tools.
3. Make the use of such tools illegal for the contest.

I have a 4th selection to add to your list, but first some thoughts on
radiosport contesting in general.

I have a general dislike for the notion of "level playing fields". (To help you
understand "level playing fields", read KVG's "Harrison Bergeron" at
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

I think that every serious participant in contesting should be developing
skills, adopting technologies, and engineering his station with an eye on
tilting the playing field to their advantage. Contesting and contesting rules
ought to be crafted in a fashion which encourages innovative thinking, adopting
new ideas, and increasing the pool of good operators and the pool of
technological communications tools, not handicapping those who would do so.

So it would appear that I'm advocating your choice #1 above (basically saying
"let 'em play and get out of the way"). And, yes, I support that mindset.

BUT........

Contesting rules should also preserve a traditional space where "just a boy
and his radio" can compete with other "just boys and their radios". There is a
real concern that technologies like Skimmer can "crowd out" the human factor of
contesting, leaving just a collection of robo-stations duking it out.

Here's the 4th selection I promised you (and I've asked the major contest
sponsors to consider).

4. Allow new technologies like Skimmer, but in the rules for each CW contest
include a "Classic" single operator category where the operator him(her)self
locates and works the target stations without any "automagic" aids like Skimmer,
packet clusters, or other techniques which locate and identify unworked
stations.

73, de Hans, K0HB