Old July 12th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus Jeffrey D Angus is offline

Default Something old and something new

KØHB wrote:
"KC4UAI" wrote in message
.

How the CW contesters will deal with this new technology
while keeping the playing field level?

To me, this is a classic example of "hand wringing" which I've seen
repeated over and over with ever new bit of technology to appear.

First it continuous wave, then AM, then SSB then RTTY, packet, PSK
etc. This is amateur radio, not "Freeze Frame" your favorite era.

4. Allow new technologies like Skimmer, but in the rules for each CW co

ntest
include a "Classic" single operator category where the operator him(her

)self
locates and works the target stations without any "automagic" aids like

Skimmer,
packet clusters, or other techniques which locate and identify unworked

stations.

I'm with Hans on this 4th approach. It's really no different than
Field Day where they have single operator battery vs multi-operator
on generator categories.

As it is, nobody's complained, or effectively at least, about the
canned "CQ CONTEST" keyers or voice loops. Used to be, "the big
thing" was to have a panadaptor to see who might be around you.

Short answer, "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the
porch." But they should and do have special categories for the
little dogs too.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi