Old July 12th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Something old and something new

KØHB wrote:

4. Allow new technologies like Skimmer, but in the rules for each CW co

ntest
include a "Classic" single operator category where the operator him(her

)self
locates and works the target stations without any "automagic" aids like

Skimmer,
packet clusters, or other techniques which locate and identify unworked

stations.

I like this concept. I think that there is a place in contesting for
people who use no technology except what's between their ears (and radio
equipment, of course) and just as much a place for people who use every
bell and whistle available. Developing new technology and learning to
use it is a goal that contests should support.

I wonder if this could be implemented by adjusting the credit for QSOs
based on how they were made. This is similar to CW contacts counting
more than phone. It needs to be kept simple, but perhaps there's a way.

But the bottom line for me is that both groups should be encouraged --
the "classic" operator, and the technology-aided operator.

73, Steve KB9X