Old April 14th 04, 08:31 PM
Joel Kolstad

Anthony Matonak wrote:
That said, there are many things you can do that are quite affordable.

Yes, such as building better-insulated dwellings. I find it appaling that
here in Oregon where I live, the building codes don't require some apartment
complexes to have any insulation whatsoever in their attics. These places
additionally inevitably end up with electric heat, so the end result is that
a small savings to the guy who builds the apartment complex ends up being a
huge cost in additional energy to the renter as well as the corresponding
impact on the environment.

There are also many alternatives to a Prius.

Although I understand the reasoning behind it, it's quite ironic how many
people out there who live within an arguably quite reasonable bikable
distance to their place of employment instead drive to work and then drive
to a fitness club afterwards to work out. :-) Although I am all for people
using their cars as much as they want so long as fuel taxes or whatever more
or less make up for the impact to the environment, but unfortunately it's
hard to translate that impact into monetary terms.

---Joel