Old July 18th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Larry Weil Larry Weil is offline

Default Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

Dick Grady AC7EL wrote in
:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:32:00 EDT, wrote:

Besides pushing Congress, one of the things I think we hams could do
to help the process is to never refer to amateur radio as "a hobby" or
even worse, "just a hobby". While most hams do radio simply as an
avocation, IMHO the word "hobby" carries with it a sort of meaning
that it's not a serious thing worthy of protection.

Then what do we call it? Avocation? Pasttime? no, none of these
terms seem appropriate, either.

I know! It's emergency preparation and training. Now that's sounds
impressive..
73 de Dick, AC7EL

How about "service". The Amateur Radio Service!

73 de KC1IH