Old July 24th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default Another BPL?

On Jul 24, 1:41 pm, Steve Bonine wrote:
There's an article in today's Washington Post

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ego68

that describes a technology that's under development to provide Internet
access using spectrum in the TV channel range. Apparently this scheme
checks for a signal before it uses a specific frequency and switches to
a different one if it detects that the frequency is in use.

I wonder how this will work and play with amateur radio.

Interesting story but a lot of information you need to determine how
much of a problem this would be is missing.

As it sits, the use of "unused" spectrum space in the current TV
broadcast band seems to be a non-issue to us. Seems that they are at
least trying to live within the part 15 rules and are working to
detect when other users pop up on the spectrum and they are working in
a band that will be open for new use in Feb 09. As long as they keep
part 15 power levels, don't try and connect directly to long
unshielded wires hung up high and stay out of the ham radio
allocations what can we say? However if they are demonstrating
something to the FCC, it would seem that they are looking for some
kind of operational waver or rules change. Worth keeping an eye on.