Old July 26th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

KC4UAI wrote in
:

On Jul 22, 12:57 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

Contrast that to demanding your right to put up whatever you
darn well
please, and if the neighbors don't like it, they can can it. We all
know which one works better.

Well I don't know about you but my wife has a LOT more to say about my
antenna aspirations than the neighbors ever will. She's not going to
allow anything she considers an eyesore to go up. She sees me gawking
at some of the antenna farms around and makes it clear I won't have
one that looks like that!

My XYL alsp takes a dim view of some of the more gaudy antennas. I've
bounced ideas off her, and over time have come up with what is
acceptable. I've ended up with wire dipoles, a J-pole for 2 meter
repeater work, and a Butternut vertical.

The Butternut was bought at a Hamfest for a paltry 35.00 It needed one
of the tube insulators and a HV cap. Simple stuff. I took a chance and we
made a deal if she didn't like it, I'd take it down. Oddly enough, it
didin't bother her as much as I thoght it would - it only got the "rolled
eyes" treatment. So we kept it.

Of course this puts me in a difficult situation. When I retire to the
country and get the 20 acres on the hill side. She's going to want
the house on the top of the hill and the antenna farm someplace else.

Doesn't she know that the best place is down the hill a bit? Warmer
in winter, and less likely to have lightning strikes? hehe

- 73 de Mike N3LI -