Old July 26th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Another BPL?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:08:32 EDT, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

According to an article in Moble Radio Technology magazine recently,
there's another issue in some areas (about ten major metro areas)
where various public safety agencies have already been authorized to
use the white space in the channel 14-20 range for various types of
public safety communication.

Dave, that's old news, at least 30 years old .It was originally
pushed by the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department which up until that
time had been using VHF low-band (39 MHz) equipment.

The so-called T-Band is almost totally loaded in the major
metropolitan areas authorized for same (See FCC Rules Part 90, Sub
part L). This spectrum is allocated in such a manner as to protect
existing TV stations.

These are one type of systems that our company designs for
public-safety clients. Many agencies are asking the FCC to reassign
unused commercial channels in the T-Band for Public Safety use. We're
in the thick of that. What we are trying to do also is to get the FCC
to expand the radius around the authorized cities as urban growth
moves outward.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest