Old July 26th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Another BPL?

Steve Bonine wrote:
There's an article in today's Washington Post

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ego68

that describes a technology that's under development to provide Internet
access using spectrum in the TV channel range. Apparently this scheme
checks for a signal before it uses a specific frequency and switches to
a different one if it detects that the frequency is in use.

I wonder how this will work and play with amateur radio. I remember
when TV channel 2 was established in my home town, effectively shutting
down six meter ham operation because the TV signal was so weak that even
a correctly-operating six-meter rig would create serious TVI for the
fringe reception of channel 2. Decades have passed and this new
technology surely is much less sensitive to adjacent signals than the
TVs of my childhood, but the analogy persists.

73, Steve KB9X

These freqs, being opened up for the net, is a very exciting development
.... I believe the opportunities and access provided will greatly expand
the availability to the net under adverse circumstances, and make
greater speeds available to those who were lacking the same ...

Regards,
JS