Old July 29th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Emergency comms thought - good? not so good?

While reading another thread about spectrum and emergency comms, a
thought came to me. Lessee if it makes sense.

Given that:

1. Spectrum is a finite resourece

2. Emergency comms (this term is used generically) is always interested
in trying to get more of that spectrum

3. One of the major shortcomings of present day systems is lack of
communications between the different systems in an area.

The cell phone industry deals with access to limited spectrum all the time.

Is is then a possibility that emergency comms might shift to a system
similar to cell phones? It seems to me that trunking is kind of an old
fashioned idea, and is ripe for replacement.

Even in our area we have a 10 year old trunking system that is going to
have to be replaced because it isn't working properly. One that was
supposed to last for 20 years.

But a cellular type approach might just work well for them. Before
anyone thinks I'm bonkers, I'm not talking about using cell phones, just
the type of compression/time sharing.

Now interopability is not necessarily so difficult.

This is just first thought conjecture, possibly impossible, so feel
free to rip into it.

- 73 d eMike N3LI -