Old July 30th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones[_2_] Ivor Jones[_2_] is offline

Default Emergency comms thought - good? not so good?

In ,
Michael Coslo typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

[snip]

: Is is then a possibility that emergency comms might shift to a system
: similar to cell phones? It seems to me that trunking is kind of an old
: fashioned idea, and is ripe for replacement.
:
: Even in our area we have a 10 year old trunking system that is going
: to have to be replaced because it isn't working properly. One that was
: supposed to last for 20 years.
:
: But a cellular type approach might just work well for them. Before
: anyone thinks I'm bonkers, I'm not talking about using cell phones,
: just the type of compression/time sharing.

"Tetra" - the UK police have been using it for some time. It operates on
around 420-430 MHz.

The handportable radios can call one another, a central control room or a
normal phone number.

Some links:

http://www.tetra-association.com/

http://www.airwavesolutions.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Of course all the scaremongers are now claiming the system causes cancer
in the same way that mobile phones are supposed to, but that's another
issue ;-)

http://www.tetrawatch.net/main/index.php

http://www.lessradiation.co.uk/?page_id=6

73 Ivor G6URP