Old July 31st 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default APRS and Igate

On Jul 30, 8:32 pm, "KI6SFG" wrote:
. Maybe if we cover the basics here then we can get more folks to
do this and fill in the holes.

Well APRS and packet in general has been kind of a dying part of the
hobby for years. I'm not sure exactly why that is, perhaps the data
rates are a bit slow and the technology is a bit out of date. I think
APRS is nice, although a bit expensive to get going, as is D-Star
which has data features too.

The problem really is that it takes enough operators in an area to
reach "critical mass" where communications are fairly consistant and
wide spread enough to be useful. Some major cities have enough
repeaters but a lot of the rural areas will be very spotty coverage.

I think that packet just didn't quite make it to critical mass in a
lot of areas before it started hitting the decline. Now with the
newer modes comming online (and comerical data services) it 's going
to be hard to get enough interest in Packet generated to get it up
past critical mass on a national scale.

Doesn't mean it's not useful as it is, or that you cannot have a lot
of fun playing with it though. I have an old 2M rig that I've intended
to get a TNC for so I could play on packet too. Right now the $$
isn't in the checking acount and the spare time is nowhere to be seen.

-= Bob =-