Old July 31st 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default APRS and Igate

KI6SFG wrote:

I think APRS is nice, although a bit expensive to get going, as is D-Star
which has data features too.

I bought my 2 meter set up from Byonics
(http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/) and have it up and working for less
than $200.

I have read that the only equipment required for an Igate was a
receiver, a computer with a sound card and an internet connection. I
have a scanner that covers 144.39 and a internet computer with a sound
card. However I have not been able to get the software to function
yet. This guy makes it sound easy
(http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/igate.htm).

There must be some I gates around the area because there are Hams
showing up on APRS.fi

I am still trying to understand TNC terminal node controllers and what
they do. I have a lot to learn.

Your basic station requirements:

A 2 meter rig.

A TNC, either software or hardware

A GPS antenna/reciever - not needed if you are setting up a base
station, but pretty necessary if you are going mobile.

There are some freeware packages out there, like UIview but I went for
APRSview, a commercial product. It can include a copy of MapPoint.

My system is as follows:

Microsoft Streets and Trips running on a laptop in conjunction with
MapPoint and APRSpoint. They all mesh together.

I use the GPS receiver included in Streets and trips. I'm no fan of
Microsoft, but this is one of their best products, and the receiver is
very good. I get connected within seconds almost always. Faster than the
other units I've seen anyhow.

The APRSpoint software has a software TNC, so I don't have to use one of
those.

My radio is a Kenwood D-700, probably the best unit to use for APRS. It
does have a built in TNC, but I don't use it for my setup. If you use
UIview, or the built in APRS setup within the D-700, you'll want that
built in TNC. plus the APRS antenna would have to be plugged directly
into the D-700 for the alternative setup..

With this setup, I can send and track over a wide range area while
mobile. This is another area where the D-700 shines. I highly recommend
it or it's successor, the D-710. Not cheap radios, but if you are
serious about APRS, they are the gold standard. You can use the radio
for voice comms at the same time you are squawcking APRS. 50 watts
output into an efficient 2 meter antenna, and I can hit a APRS repeater
from most places in Pennsylvania.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -