Old August 1st 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default APRS and Igate

On Jul 31, 4:02 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
KI6SFG wrote:

Your basic station requirements:

A 2 meter rig.

Check... OLD Icom 2 Meter rig and suitable antenna for moble use.

A TNC, either software or hardware

Um... You say software? What is out there? I know they have software
for the HF digital modes, but I didn't see anything for the VHF/UHF
stuff... I have the laptop to run it on, and I can run both Linux or
Windoz on it...

A GPS antenna/reciever - not needed if you are setting up a base
station, but pretty necessary if you are going mobile.

Again Check....

The APRSpoint software has a software TNC, so I don't have to use one of
those.

I would assume that you would need some way to key the transmitter and
the proper cables between the radio and the computer (in my case it
will be a laptop).

I guess all I need is some software TNC. Wow, maybe the time will
show up soon.. A hardware TNC is hard to hide from the XYL, but
software is easy...

-= bob =-