Old August 1st 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jeffrey D Angus Jeffrey D Angus is offline

Default APRS and Igate

KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:02 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

A TNC, either software or hardware

Um... You say software? What is out there?

I know it's a bit dated, but an example of a software TNC
would be the Baycom modem that was used with the Commodore
C-64 computer. Simply a tone modem IC and the actual bit
shuffling was done by the computer.

Kind of like the WinModem for the PC that let the computer
do all the "what's this" stuff and made the modems totally
useless under anything other than the Windows OS.

I guess all I need is some software TNC. Wow, maybe the time will
show up soon.. A hardware TNC is hard to hide from the XYL, but
software is easy...

They make small TNCs, the Tigertronics Baypac comes to mind.

http://www.tigertronics.com/73magbp1.htm

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi