Old August 1st 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KI6SFG KI6SFG is offline

Default APRS and Igate

Gary,

I suggest you get an old PC, put Linux on it, and become very familiar
with the OS. Then, compile a custom kernel that includes the AX.25
features and leaves out what you don't need.

Keep it simple and small: you risk losing interest if you try too much at
once.

73, Bill W1AC

Bill, I am wondering why linux as apposed to windows? Are you just trying
to keep the system simple and inexpensive?

Could you explain a little more about the AX.25?

I downloaded the IU-view software and loaded it on to my desktop computer.
I understood that with a radio that would receive 144.39 (in my case a
scanner) that I could use the computer's sound card and IU-view to port
packet signals on to the internet? I am not interested in transmitting from
home at this point, just receiving signals and getting them to APRS.fi.

Gary