Old August 3rd 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Rich Greenberg Rich Greenberg is offline

Default Handheld, Utah, N.W of Delta

In article ,
wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a handheld to take along on my offroad
motorcycle travels. I will be between Wendover, NV and Delta, UT. It
is about 120 miles of very barren territory, sand dunes, salt flats
and rocky mountains. My wife is concerned - and probably rightfully
so - that mechanical failure or a crash will leave me in the middle of
nowhere. I plan on following a known route (GPS), so if I go missing
too long folks will know where to look for me.

If you want RELIABLE communications from "very barren territory", forget
amateur radio.

Get a satelite phone.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L