Old August 3rd 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
David G. Nagel David G. Nagel is offline

Default Handheld, Utah, N.W of Delta

wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a handheld to take along on my offroad
motorcycle travels. I will be between Wendover, NV and Delta, UT. It
is about 120 miles of very barren territory, sand dunes, salt flats
and rocky mountains. My wife is concerned - and probably rightfully
so - that mechanical failure or a crash will leave me in the middle of
nowhere. I plan on following a known route (GPS), so if I go missing
too long folks will know where to look for me.

I have 20 years of desert riding experience, but never in an area I
couldn't walk out of (perhaps 7 miles to nearest road). So I'm
thinking she has a good point. Attempting to walk that far with
limited water might lead to a tragic situation.

I am a electrical engineer and have ordered a book off amazon, and
either way plan on taking the FCC test. Would a 5 watt handheld have
a chance of getting out a signal in this area? It is fairly close to
an Air Force proving grounds, so perhaps? My enduro motorcycle does
have 12 VDC and I could mount a smaller unit with an external antenna
but wonder if it is worth it? On this trip I would use it only for
life-threatening conditions, so perhaps a handheld can use law
enforcement repeaters???

Any thoughts on the subject from those with experience would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

Eric;

Have fun on your trip. For emergency communications the other responders
have all provided good information.

My addition to this thread is to suggest you also pack a FRS radio. Tune
to channel one tone off for emergency communications. If it is necessary
to call in airborne search and rescue assets the Civil Air Patrol most
likely will be one of the agencies. One of the tools we use is the FRS
radio tuned to channel 1 for communications with lost individuals and
parties. Make sure that your trip plan specifically mentions FRS channel
one.

You can rent sat phones and personal locater beacons for your trip. The
cost is cheap insurance. Then use the FRS for close in communications.

Dave Nagel, Major CAP
WD9BDZ