Old August 4th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] parkes.eric@gmail.com is offline

Default Handheld, Utah, N.W of Delta

Have fun on your trip. For emergency communications the other responders
have all provided good information.

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I cured my wife's worryies by
inviting her along. Now she's excited to go. I thought the area
would be just rabbit trails through open desert. Turns out the
largest part of my journey will take place on the historic "Pony
Express" trail. I didn't realize the Pony Express went through this
area of Utah! Essentially it is a 135 mile long dirt road, with
perhaps 1 or 2 ranching trucks passing through per day. Hopefully
we'll see the wild horses that are claimed to live out there.

I did find a very well done video describing the history of the area
and monuments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOZT...eature=related

Here's a simple HTML page with a few pictures from the BLM:
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_...ess_trail.html

Thanks again, Eric.