Old September 15th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Larry Larry is offline

Default New to Ham Radio

KJ4DIY wrote in news:883a588d-eae3-4b81-8672-
:

Hi from KJ4DIY

Hi, Howard and Welcome to Ham Radio!

I got my novice in 1957 when I was 11 thanks to the local hams in our
little town in upstate NY. It was a defensive move on their parts because
us boys used to hang out in their hamshacks all the time working DX on
their radios and they figured the ONLY way to get rid of us and get control
of their equipment back was to get us our licenses and help us build novice
stations of our own so they could have some PEACE! It worked pretty
well...

It's been a helluva ride.

Please do not judge any of us from what you see in some of these newsgroups
or may hear on some 75 meter frequencies. We're NOT a bunch of nasty old
men who hate everyone that hasn't been on the air since dirt was new...(c;

My record youngest ham failed his first test when he was 7 because he ran
out of paper printing those big letters on the Novice Morse test. We gave
him plenty of paper the next time around and he got his Novice at 7, Tech
at 8 and General at 9, at which point he moved away. That was a long time
before we could search on the internet to find him, again.

I think you waited way too long to make the jump.

73 de Larry W4CharlestonSouthCarolina
waiting for Hurricane Ike to come blow the place away, again....

..