Old September 26th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default How to PSK? What do all those funny letters mean?

I need a bit of help...

I'm pretty new to this PSK thing. I got to admit that I think it is a
very interesting way to have a QSO and that I've enjoyed the handful
of contacts that I've managed to have so far. I've learned a lot about
PSK and radio in general as I fumbled around trying to get set up and
on the air.

Which leads me to where I need help. I've run into a number of "first
timers" on the air and we all share the same set of questions about
the digital modes, the software, the hardware setup and the syntax of
a QSO. I'm fairly proficient at using Google, but I can tell you that
there are a lot of details that are hard to find when you are setting
all this up for the first time.

Is there a good resource that explains the following:
1. The hardware required to link your radio to the computer sound card
2. The software choices you have
3. How to setup the radio to get a clean signal out, and how to know
it's right.
4. How to make a QSO (What do all the letters mean???)
a) How to answer somebody or call CQ
b) How to end a transmission so they know you are done
c) What does 599 mean and how do I formulate the RST reports
d) How to end the QSO

I'm already though #3 and I've learned a lot of the QSO syntax by just
doing it and watching other QSO's, but surely somebody has already
compiled all this information someplace. Where might that be?

I'm also looking for information about how to harness my PSK software
to drive my logging software so I don't have to keep manually entering
all the log data. What software is out there that does this, and
where can I find it?

-= Bob =-