Old September 30th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Need advice on HDTV antenna

OK, the cutover to HDTV is coming up, and I want to have a good antenna
on the roof long before February, so I'm in need of advice. I'm using a
converter box to feed my current TV set, but rabbit ears don't work well
at all.

I know I need a rooftop antenna, but the available commercial literature
is more hype than help. I'm hoping that someone out there has expertise
on the new antennas being offered for HDTV.

I know this depends a lot on what the signal strengths are at my QTH,
but assuming that all-other-things-are-equal:

* Are flat-panel units worth the price?
* Can I get by with an old VHF-UHF combination antenna?
* What's the tradeoff between feedline length and antenna gain?
* Do masthead preamps perform well, and is the cost and maintenance
worth it?

73,

Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)