Old September 30th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Do you use a vertical on 80?

"Bill Horne" wrote in message
I've been using an inverted vee for 80 meters, with mediocre results.
I'm willing to experiment with other designs and I like the simplicity
of verticals, but I've got to get something up before the weather turns,
so if you've used a vertical on 80 meters, please answer these questions
for me.

1. Performance?
2. Is noise worse/better/the same?
3. Is a quarter-wave radiator essential, or can it be shorter?

73,

Bill W1AC

Inverted V is more like a vertical. If you have a metal mast, it might BE a
vertical. If you can raise the ends It might work better.

Shorter antenna means narrower bandwidth. You will probably need a tuner
even with a full size vertical on 80m.

I used an inverted L with loading on the 9' vertical section. It had a 25'
horizontal section and worked well for short to medium skip on 80 and 40m.

I now have an HF9v Butternut. Royal pain to tune. Works well for longer
skip, worthless for short skip. Has good bandwidth on all bands 6-40m but
needs a tuner for most of 80 as the 2:1 bandwidth is about 20 kHz. The
inverted L came down because it detuned the vertical too much on all bands.
I wish I had both.