Old October 3rd 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Newsgroup servers?

In article ,
Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.

$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

Or, for USENET access only, consider news.individual.net - ten euros
per year.

The site "aioe.org" has a publicly-accessible USENET server - free to
use, and posting is allowed. Unfortunately, The Tragedy of the
Commons applies here - because the server is free, open, and (by
deliberate intent) doesn't authenticate its users, it has become a
server-of-choice for abusive posters and (I think) spammers, and quite
a lot of sites and individuals are now just dropping all aioe.org
articles on the floor.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO