Old October 4th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Newsgroup servers?

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.

Dee, N8UZE

Can you afford $10/month? Thats the basic rate at Panix, if you pay a
year at a time, you get a $20 discount.

Panix is a fine service, but it's a full-service Internet facility.
Service for newsgroups only is available for much less cost, and that's
all that Comcast is dropping so why pay for more?

My preference, as others have put forward, is individual.net. I don't
like the free services for the reasons already mentioned. I find
individual.net a reasonable compromise between the free services that
are worth what you pay and the more expensive products that provide
additional function beyond what I need. If you're just looking for a
good provider for Usenet access, it fits the bill nicely.

Another alternative that I don't think anyone has mentioned is access to
newsgroups via the Google interface. Being able to use a real news
reader is well worth 10 Euros per year to me.

73, Steve KB9X