Old October 4th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Do you use a vertical on 80?

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:24:31 EDT, wrote:

1) A full-size one is 60-65 feet tall, and needs a ground system to
match. Shortening sacrifices bandwidth and radiation efficiency. Yes,
a lot can be done with a small antenna but you're looking for
something better than the inverted V.

Just this very evening I tried using my Cushcraft R-8 vertical - which
is not supposed to tune 80 meters - on 80, It performed much better
than my horizontal "all band" dipole when it came to weak signals in
"NVIS" territory. The KAT100 tuner said 1:1.

Guess which one I'll be using from now on?
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon