Old October 4th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Tristao towers

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:31:25 EDT, Jeffrey D Angus
wrote:

Phil Kane wrote:
You are getting a building permit (not to be confused with a
use or zoning permit), right?

Well, not to fall into the "I don't need one" category, but this
tower is akin to putting an extension ladder along side the house.

The main reason that I recommend it is your insurance may be
invalidated if one is necessary and you don't have the permit and
inspection.

But I will check the local building codes to see what they have
to say about things. I believe (may be urban legend) that certain
"structures" (both masts and towers) may have a "not needed below
a certain height" condition.

No urban legend - the Uniform Building Code (now called something
else) exempts roof-mounted masts up to 12 feet in length. This covers
most residential TV antenna installations.

Were this a self standing 85 foot Rohn beast and I were planning
on doing more than maybe a simple tri-bander, I wouldn't hesitate
to have it engineered first then pull a permit.

Smart move!
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest