Old October 4th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
R.A Abrahams R.A Abrahams is offline

Default Do you use a vertical on 80?

O.M.'s
when i started the radiohobbythe first trx was a WO II .set A kind of
superreg with amplifier double use of the tubes rx superreg and tx
superreg tube used as a vfo and the lf tube was the tx final
the antenna was simple a length of wire tuned by a bicyclelamp.tuning a knob
and the lamp glowed.the knob simply moved a piece of pulverized iron in a
coil
some years later i used a fishing rod i wound a length of wire around it one
end to ground and feeded by an alligatorclamb.I hope youm understand that at
the ground end there was a coil so the antenna was a kind of baseloaded
with the fishingrod antenna you got a cheap and simple experimental antenna
type
i used tapped coil +length of wire taped coil and a coil in the centre
and taped coil length of wire and an coil at the top with some radials
I discovered that a grounding sistem is important However 60 feet of tuned
wire is not easy and a cupperpipe stroked in the ground to the waterlevel
is
expensive
An antenne is simplifyed a inductance and a capacity coil and condensator
that will resonate on the working frequency for matching the trx you may
divide the coil or condensor
a cooking recept for an antenna can not be given because the circumstances
are not the same and unpredictable only a few directions
now to days fishing rods are made from grafite so conductive when obtainable
use glasfibre rods
you also find a lot of information at the foxhunting groups at larry's site
sm0 vpo his balcony antenna

a lot of succes when experimenting
73 de Ruud PA 0 RAB ( rare antenna builder)

"Bill Horne" schreef in bericht
I've been using an inverted vee for 80 meters, with mediocre results. I'm
willing to experiment with other designs and I like the simplicity of
verticals, but I've got to get something up before the weather turns, so
if you've used a vertical on 80 meters, please answer these questions for
me.

1. Performance?
2. Is noise worse/better/the same?
3. Is a quarter-wave radiator essential, or can it be shorter?

73,

Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)