Old August 14th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Patty Winter[_2_] Patty Winter[_2_] is offline

Default 2m coverage in C. Crane radio

Last night I was listening to KGO, the top-rated station in San
Francisco, and the host did a commercial for C. Crane. They often
advertise their AM/FM radios on KGO in the evening and overnight
because KGO has regular listeners all the way up to British Columbia,
so they have a ready-made audience of people who want radios that
can pull in distant stations well.

Anyway...this is the first time I've heard the 2m ham band mentioned
in a commercial for an AM/FM radio! I don't know whether the "CC Radio
2" is a new product, or whether they just hadn't mentioned this band
before. (It also gets the weather band.) They said that they had
included the 2m band in the radio so that listeners could get valuable
information during an emergency. Yay us! :-)

I just looked at their website, and they provide even more positive
mention of amateur radio there. Their CC2 page:

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...ccradio-2.aspx

says, "The addition of the 2-Meter Ham band may make the CCRadio-2
a life saver during an emergency like hurricane Katrina. 2-Meter
Ham operators are early on the scene and they donate their time
while handling perhaps 90% of the emergency coordination efforts."
They have even put up an entire page called, "What Can I Hear on
the 2-Meter Amateur Radio Band?"

http://www.ccrane.com/library/2-mete...adio-band.aspx

After going on and on about how wonderful hams are, that page tells
how to get a ham license and gives a link to the League's website.
All in all, very cool!

Usual disclaimers: I don't work for C. Crane, don't know anyone who
does, don't even own any of their radios. Just really liked this
good publicity they're giving us!

Patty N6BIS

p.s. Do any folks from Newington read this group? If not, I'll
send this info to someone there.